Plymouth and Jackson ~ Sept. 17, 2011

The original plan for this trip was to pig out and Marlene and Glen’s Dead Fly Diner in Plymouth, then head over to the Plymouth House Inn to interview the current owners about the history of their building (it’s quite a story!). But, the work week ended with the interview unscheduled and the interviewer, me, unfit to interview. I needed a day of fun on a whim.

Wednesday, Wire, Trill and I headed out at 9:30am to the Dead Fly Diner. We arrived about 10:30 and didn’t have to wait too long to be seated. Wednesday and I decided to try their famous homemade waffle batter. Wire went for the crab cake eggs benedict with biscuits and gravy and Trill ordered a ham and cheese omelette. All conversation stopped when the food arrived, we were so hungry.

Now that we were filled up with thousands of calories and hundreds of grams of fat, we were ready to decide on what we were going to do next. We decided we would check out the main street in Jackson. First, we had to make a side trip to the park to use the restrooms because the single bathroom at the Dead Fly diner had been occupied by one person for over 20 minutes. We were scared to go in after, so public toilet it was!

Because of this side trip to the Plymouth park, we discovered this very unusual set of playground equipment. So odd, that I called Trillian out of the Jeep to come over and explain to me how the heck one played on this contraption. She was as baffled as I was. Wednesday and Trillian spent some time checking out each thing and trying to figure out how one has fun on it. I took photos for evidence. We decided it was clearly designed for fish people. Satisfied with that explanation, we headed to Jackson.

On our way into Jackson, we spied a church completely surrounded by a crowded cemetery in the valley below. We made that our first stop. On our way to that cemetery, we drove by another one, and since we were feeling a bit lazy, we just drove through it (politely, of course). That cemetery contained the graves of the victims of the 1922 Argonaut Mine fire.

The church and cemetery we viewed from above on Hwy 49 was Serbian, and located next door was a Serbian Orthodox Home. The cemetery was very tidy and the majority (if not all) of the monuments displayed the Serbian Cross, which made an interesting pattern in the cemetery. It was a bit sterile for my taste, I prefer the cemeteries with unusual reflections of personalities and little tributes placed around the graves. The cemetery in Bodega Bay is my favorite because it is filled with personal touches.

After a quick examination of the cemeteries, we headed to the other end of Main street to browse around in the shops and enjoy the architecture.

Wednesday and I both found items to buy. This is unusual for me, I very rarely buy anything at antique stores. I just like to look at everything. I scored a very cool fainting couch for my Blythe doll. I couldn’t believe how inexpensive it was. It cost less than if I found a cheesy plastic Barbie couch at the toy store! Wednesday found a Viewmaster, which she has a collection of, and a stack of reels. The reels were the real treasure; a collection of commercial wallpaper reels from the 50’s. Oh, they were atrocious and wonderful! The best part, beyond the rare find was that it was very reasonably priced. At the same shop, I spied a necklace that I absolutely had to have. A letter L from an old-round key typewriter! The shop owner’s friend makes these necklaces. There were only 5 letters left, so I was very lucky that my L was there!

We went in and out of very many shops, visually enjoying all the different items they had on display. There was quite a bit of old photography and printing equipment that was fun to examine. We also found a rare bookstore that we spent quite a bit of time in, but everything was slightly overpriced, so we left.

On the way to the bookstore, we spied a large train engine up on the hill and signs pointing to a history museum, so we trudged up the steep hill that Wire wanted to go back and get the Jeep for. After disturbing a couple of teens that thought they had found a quiet retreat for some probably-inappropriate snuggling, we found that the museum was closed until further notice. Wednesday couldn’t resist ringing the giant brass bell on the porch, which earned us more irritated stares from the young lusters. We snickered and left to check out the remaining Main streets shops.

We didn’t find much else of interest and we were getting tired, so we sped up our weaving in and out of Main street and worked our way quickly back to the Jeep. We had one last place that we wanted to check out. A funky assortment of yard sculptures that we saw on Hwy 49 on our way in.

Poor Man’s Bronze is the name of this eclectic yard of art. Need a 10 foot flamingo? They have it. Need a giant Betty Boop? They have it. Need some well-read Playboys from the 70s? They have it. Wire snapped a couple of photos.

Much to Trill’s dismay, we spied a thrift store across the street. We were greeted enthusiastically by the owner who was so happy to see someone with a blue mohawk. It was the cleanest and most organized thrift store I have ever been in. Wednesday found a colorful folding yardstick that needed to come home with her.

It was exactly the day that I was in the mood for. I had a fantastic time. I always love our food and discovery adventures with Wednesday.

See the photo gallery here.

3 Responses

  1. That fainting couch is super cool! And I hope you IMMEDIATELY bought that unicorn with the purple main, purple horn and purple feet because that is just the best damn thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

Comments are closed.

Back to Top